Helping businesses and young people prosper through apprenticeships
What is Ladder for the Black Country?
Following the great success of Ladder for London, an initiative encouraging the capital’s businesses to take on young people and invest in their future. It is now time for companies in the Black Country to step up and help give local young people the opportunity to prosper in their organisation.
The biggest obstacle faced by young people is a lack of work experience and one of the greatest concerns for businesses is the lower availability of skilled employees. Apprenticeships can provide a solution to both of these issues by giving young people their first step on the ladder to skills and experience.
Our aim is to get companies – large, medium or small – to take one or more apprentices and make a commitment to their future workforce. With this pledge in place, we can help to match them with enthusiastic and dedicated young people who can bring so much to their new employers.
How can an apprenticeship help your business?
Over 250,000 businesses across the UK currently employ an apprentice, recognising that apprenticeships can increase productivity, improve business performance and help ensure a committed and competent workforce. Recruiting apprentices enables employers to fill the skills gaps that exist within their current workforce as apprentices begin to learn sector specific skills from day one.
89% of employers reported that apprenticeships helped their business improve the quality of their product or service
Employers say that qualified apprentices are 15% more employable than those with other qualifications
Apprenticeships boost productivity to businesses by on average £214 per week
Want to become an apprentice?
As employees, apprentices earn a wage and work alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills. Apprentices receive training to work towards nationally recognised qualifications or standards. Apprenticeships can take between one and four years to complete depending on the level of apprenticeship and the industry sector.
90% of apprentices stay in employment with over 70% staying with the same employer
Nearly a quarter of former apprentices are promoted within a year of finishing their apprenticeship
89% of apprentices are satisfied with their apprenticeship and 83% of apprentices said their career prospects had improved
Become a Partner of the Ladder
If you are a local Training Provider or College and would like to become an approved delivery partner to the Ladder for the Black Country then please email firstname.lastname@example.org and request an application form. Once your application has proved successful you will be on the preferred supplier list ready to receive any referrals we may have.
Our Success Stories
Here Ian Austin talks in the house of commons about the Ladder for the Black County scheme run by the Express & Star and the Vine Trust that's working with hundreds of businesses like the ones mentioned below, to create thousands of apprenticeships.
Ladders’ Roll of Honour
A.F. Blakemore • Travelstar European • Kitmeout
B & W Billiards • JFE Attridge Scaffolding
• Independent Mortgage Hypermarket
Prospect Joinery • Nant Ltd • PCS Publishing
Phoenix Seating Ltd • The Coseley School
Vale Vehicle Movements Ltd
Goodchilds Estate Agents & Lettings
Express & Star • Gorgeous Radio
Superior Sections Ltd • Coton House • KipMcGrath Sandwell
Evergreen Hairdressers • Barrett Engineering Steel
Precision Colour Printing Limited
• Electra Engineering Services • Gravity Risk Services Ltd
• Easy Go Car Ltd • E I Hygiene Solutions
• Link 2 Recruit • Midland Fencing solutions • Accord Group
• Walsall Housing Group • Ikea • TTP Lata
Sunrise Medical Ltd • Arbor Lights • Enoch Evans • Cushillo Limited
• Carillion • PayCare • Helix Trading Ltd • Mindful Gifts CIC
Chapmans Electricals • Helix Trading Ltd
• Indigo Products • Areco Ltd
Lichgitter • Poundland • Day Doctor
Dunwood Travel • Ultra - Furniture
• Movecorp Ltd • Alchemy Architectural Aluminum Systems Ltd
• Birmingham Seals Company Ltd • Davenport burgess Ltd
• Stainless Steel Manufacturing & Equipment Ltd
• Preeti Eyes Opticians Ltd • Piquant Ltd
• RMD Kwikform • Vanguard Foundry
• FTL Foundry • Hub Engineering
• Technibench • Utopia • HCM Engineering
• Heinrich Georg • J Makrlew • Naylan Plastics
• Right Engineering • Eccles Tooling
• Somers Forge • Advanced Cold Formed Sections
• Dudley Designs • Davies Woven Wire
• Kepston • Brickwork • Customer Service Network
• Pascon limited • VSS Group Ltd • Alucast • Premier Towing Centre
• Marshall Bell Limited • Bhandals Dental • Arnold Clarke
• Used Storage Systems Ltd • Commercial Security Systems
• Walsall FC Community Programme • Dudley metropolitan Borough Council
• Wolverhampton City Council • Excalibur
• Gobel & Partner Ltd • Orchard Florist • The Tan Shop • Jhoots Pharmacy
• The Appliance Recycling Group • Premax Engineering Ltd • Wall James Challepp Solicitors
• Lion Containers • A Park View Hotel Ltd • HH Plastics Ltd • New Cross Hospital • Tanning Cabin
West Midlands Ambulance Service Discovery After School Camp
PGO Trade Uk Ltd
We want an apprentice
Want to be an apprentice?
Ladder for Staffordshire
Employers large and small across the region are participating in Ladder for the Black Country.
Step up to the Challenge
Step up to Ladder for the Black Country. For more information call 03332 409 699